Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Potter

I have always loved the concrete examples that the Bible gives in regards to our relationship with God. One of my favorites is that He is the potter and we're the clay. I was reminded of a field trip I went on when I taught 5th grade. We were in Old Salem getting to experience life in the 1700-1800's. One of the experiences the kids got on our tour was to use a potter's wheel. The first year I went I didn't get to do it, but second year I did. It was lots of fun and I'd love to do it again someday.

(I thought I had a picture of me doing it, but I couldn't find it.)

This all ties in with my reading for this morning. It included this passage from Jeremiah 18:1-6:
The Potter and the Clay
The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD: "Arise, and go down to the potter’s house, and there I will let you hear my words." So I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was working at his wheel. And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter’s hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do. Then the word of the LORD came to me: "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter has done? declares the LORD. Behold, like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.

This verse in Isaiah (64:8) fits nicely with the imagery:

But now, O LORD, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand.

Are you letting the Lord mold you and shape you into what seems good to Him? Here's a video I found on youtube of the song "Potter's Hand." Take a moment to listen and thank the Lord for desiring to be intimately involved in our lives and taking the time to mold us.

No comments: