Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Weekend Part 1

I'm still processing through all I learned this past weekend at the Between Us Ministers' Wives conference and Living Proof Live with Beth Moore. It certainly was a great time of spiritual renewal and being with 1200 other pastor's wives from all over the country made it that much sweeter.

The first part of the conference included three breakout sessions as well as discussion panels by pastors' wives that work in connection with LifeWay. It was a very encouraging time and great preparation for Friday night and Saturday morning that was spent with Beth Moore.

I may turn this into several posts depending on how long it ends up being. I want to share some of the insights that I gained from the breakout sessions and Living Proof parts. Overall, it was really neat to see the Lord use so many different people to convey a similar message. What Beth said helped to put it all together and even drove the points home yesterday as I finished my last day of the Esther study that I've been doing. I just love how He can use so many different sources and people to drive a point home. Hopefully now I will carry that truth with me and apply it to my day to day life.

Breakout Session #1
If Momma Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy
*This first session ended up focusing on contentment. It wasn't what I was expecting (as I think happened with all of them), but still good to hear.
*True contentment must be learned and God can give us the strength to be content.
*Contentment in a moment by moment act of worship.
*Contentment Stealers: perfectionism, comparison, competition, expectations, fear, and worry
*Confront Materialism in a Real World:

Live a life that focuses on God's eternal purposes- 1 Timothy 6:11
Choose a lifestyle that is not self-indulgent- 2 Timothy 3:2-5
Focus on things with eternal values- Matthew 6:19-21
Stop comparing yourself to others- 2 Cor 10:12
Be grateful for who you are and what you have- Philippians 4:12
Contribute willingly and generously to the needs of others- 2 Corinthians 9:5
Rely on God to fulfill present and future needs- Matthew 6:33-34
Recognize that God is the owner and has the ultimate control of all things- 1 Chronicles 29:11-12



Breakout Session #2

Dealing with Difficult People


*This session ended up focusing on conflict resolution and was also different from what I expected. Nonetheless it was still very good to hear.

*Conflict cannot be avoided (John 16:33); conflict is not bad (Proverbs 27:17); and conflict requires action toward peace (Romans 14:19).

*Many conflicts arise from a difference in perception or expectations. It can help when there is a disagreement for each person involved to write out your assumptions and then compare them to. Often you'll find you actually agree on more than you realize.

*God allows the conflict to arise. We need to see what we can learn from it.

*I need not fight my husband's battles. If a problem arises, I need to trust the Lord with it (He allowed it to happen) and encourage my husband to deal with it Biblically. I should not seek my own vengeance or get upset if things did not work out the way I thought they should. It was never my battle to begin with!

*Remember who the true enemy is- Satan. He is out there, trying to distract us from our ultimate purpose of glorifying God.


Session #3
Trading Places:
What Every Minister Wishes His Wife Knew About Him


*Love and respect him both in his role as husband and as the one who fulfills that role in my life
*Laugh with him and not at him
*Be loyal to him- Remember that we are completers of one another both in marriage and in ministry. I need to make him look good!
*Pray for him- ask him what to pray for
*Learn with him
*Learn about him

Panel Discussions

One point that I keep remembering is what one of the pastor's wives said. God did not make a mistake putting me in this position. I am the perfect music minister's wife at this point in time for the church we are serving at. I've never really struggled with feeling inadequate, but what a great truth to embrace for wherever we're at in life. God doesn't make mistakes. As long as we are seeking His will and where He wants us to be, then I am the perfect person to be doing what He has called me to do. This really tied in well with what Beth Moore shared (more on that tomorrow) and the Esther study which has the concept of destiny occurring throughout it.

No comments: