Friday, September 11, 2009

I Grow Them Big

We went in for an ultrasound today to see how big Baby Brother is. My doctor wanted to know how far past my due date I could go since Graham was 2 weeks late and big (9 lbs 5 oz). We're thinking that Baby Brother takes after Big Brother. At a little over 38 weeks they estimate that he is already 8 lbs 12 oz. At this rate he will be well over 10 lbs if we had to go the full two weeks past again. So, we decided today that if he is not here by Mon the 21st (2 days before by due date) that I will go in to be induced. Of course we're praying that he will come before then. I've been having contractions throughout the day for a couple of weeks now and I am already 2 cm dialated so we're moving in the right direction!

I've struggled with having to figure out what is best in this situation, but in the end feel confident in my doctor's advice. I don't want to wait too long and then not be able to deliver him and she said that there are several options when it comes to induction that don't involve lots of pitocin right away (I really want an unmedicated birth but know that the pitocin will increase my need for an epidural).

So in the end we'll get to meet the new addition in a little over a week at the most and hopefully between now and then we can decide on his name!!


AmandaS said...

Thanks for the update! Praying for you and hoping that you go into labor on your own. Keep us posted. love to all four of you :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I had to be induced with Alethia and had pitocin but did not have to have an epidural. I hope you don't need any of that but you can do it if you have to... I'd recommend the Wii Fit it worked for me with Asher!!!

Tiffany said...

that was from me. Sorry - Tiffany

Molly said...

Very exciting, Jackie. Hopefully baby brother will make his debut before any coaxing is needed!