Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Mountain Mover


I love the mornings when you read the Word and just walk away completely refreshed. All you can say is "Thank You Lord" because you're so overwhelmed with who He is. That's how I'm feeling this morning. For some reason Graham has decided to sleep late (like 2 hours late) so I was able to spend time reading before he woke up. I miss getting to begin my day this way, so I'm thankful for the gift that it was.

I read the following quote in the book Too Busy Not to Pray by Bill Hybels:

How do you pray a prayer so filled with faith that it can move a mountain?
By shifting the focus from the size of your mountain
to the sufficiency of the mountain mover,
and by stepping forward in obedience.


What a great reminder of where our focus should be. It totally goes along with what the Lord has been teaching me lately. A few months ago I realized that I was not living the abundant life that God promised in John 10:10. Soon after this, I came to the conclusion that the feelings I was having (frustration, annoyance, worry to name a few) were keeping me from having that abundant life. They were a result of me choosing to focus and dwell on what brought those feelings out rather than resting in God and all that He promises us. It's so freeing to choose to take Him at His word rather than dwell on what is going on in life! I don't understand (and get annoyed with myself) that I continue to struggle with doing this, but I certainly have a glimpse into what life could and should be like.

Are you focusing on the mountain or the mountain mover?

Mark's been preaching a series on Worship so go here to listen to some great messages that go along with this!

No comments: