Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chapter 2: a word to live ... and die by

One Thousand Gifts

My Favorite Quotes

How do we live fully so we are fully ready to die?

page 29

----

With an expiration of less than twelve hours, what does Jesus count as all most important?

"And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them... (Luke 22:19 NIV).

page 31

----

In the original language, "he gave thanks" reads "eucharisteo"
...
The root word of eucharisteo is charis, meaning "grace."
Jesus took the bread and saw it as
grace and gave thanks.
He took the bread and knew it to be
gift and gave thanks.

But there is more, and I read it.
Eucharisteo, thanksgiving, envelopes the Greek word for grace, charis.
But it also holds its derivative, the Greek word
chara, meaning "joy."
Joy. Ah...yes.
I might be needing me some of that.
That might be what the quest for more is all about...


page 32

----

Our very saving is associated with our gratitude.

...

We only enter into the full life if our faith gives thanks.
Because how else do we accept His free gift of salvation
if not with thanksgiving?
Thanksgiving is the evidence of our acceptance of whatever He gives.
Thanksgiving is the manifestation of our Yes! to His grace.


page 39

----

I would never experience the fullness of my salvation
until I expressed the fullness of my thanks every day,
and
eucharisteo is elemental to living the saved life.

page 40

No comments: