Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lessons I'm Learning- Perspective

G has been teaching me a lot lately.

So often I have found myself correcting him and realize that I do the exact same things. He may be disappointed that he can't have a Popsicle for breakfast or watch another show. But so many times I've been frustrated or impatient with what I want God to do or change in my life and have the same disappointed attitude. In the end it all boils down to the same struggle.

All have sinned.

We don't like to think about our own sin, let alone admit that our children do. We want to think of our children as being compliant, cooperative, and considerate. But then we get surprised when they do something that goes against it. I think we can transform our parenting if we refresh our understanding of who they are. They sin just we do and they need to be redeemed just like we do.

Our job as parents is to instruct them in what the truth is. We should demand first time obedience but remember that their sin nature is going to fight us in that. When they choose to give into it we will have to discipline them. Keep in mind that as adults we may not get time outs or spankings, but ask yourself if you obey God the first time every time. How can we expect our children to behave in a certain way if we are not doing it ourselves?

Remember that we're in a battle with our kids fighting against sin and its consequences. It may seem at times that we're fighting our kids, but remember that in the end you are on the same team. Strive to teach them the truth, to pray for and with them, and to model Biblical living all the while remembering who we are. Then, if you are redeemed, take time to thank God for giving us freedom from sin and it's power over us.

No comments: